View Single Post
Unread 09-24-2002, 02:01 AM   #15
Cathar
Thermophile

Picked myself up an Asus A7V333 mobo which reads the CPU on-die diode. This allows much better accuracy for taking temperatures than using an in-socket diode like my Abit KR7A has.

I have results for the Silverprop Cyclone 5 w/3mm base, the Danger Den Maze 3, and the micro-channel concept block.

I used an Eheim 1250 pump, and a dual fan heater-core (aka the Big Arse).

Using an AthlonXP @ 1925MHz, 2.15v. Using BurnK7 (CPUBurn) to generate load. Tests were run until temperatures had stabilised for 15 minutes (typically 30 minutes to an hour per test).

The Maze 3 drew in some pretty poor results initially, even getting some system instability. I lapped the base of the Maze 3 and found that it was slightly concave. In fact, I could even see the oval shape outlined in the base early on during th lapping. After lapping, the results for the Maze 3 improved by around 2C, as well as removing stability issues.

I mounted each block 3 times to gather data and reduce the effect of mounting irregularities and took the best results.

Flow Rates

Danger Den Maze 3: 7.0lpm
Silverprop Cyclone 5: 7.5lpm
Micro-channel Conept: 7.5lpm

Results

Radiator Air Intake: 23.0C
Water temperature: 25.5C (radiator fans at 7V)

The CPU on-die temperatures observed were:

Concept Block: 44.0C
Maze 3: 46.0C
Cyclone 5 (3mm): 46.5C

All blocks have been mounted with a fairly extreme amount of pressure. The motherboard begins to flex slightly around the socket with the mounting pressure. I apply WAY more pressure than AMD recommends as kosher, but these organic package CPU's can handle it just fine. The difference between mounting these blocks with some of the flimsy springs that are provided can be more than 1C warmer. With the Maze 3 springs I see 2C warmer.

Currently I'm using springs meant for the Pentium 4 and wind them right down to even heights. I'd estimate CPU block-mount pressure would be around the 50lbs (23kgs) mark (AMD recommend 15-25lbs).
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote