View Single Post
Unread 06-02-2003, 12:30 AM   #3
ciscokid454
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Long Haired Git
See other thread in this same forum - go searching (coz I am not going to do it for you).

Basically - I think the analagy was a racing car on an oval track, with the water block or radiator being a small section of track.

The faster a racing car goes, the less time it spends in that portion of the track PER LAP. However, over a defined period of time, the number of laps completed increases.

Hence, the total time spent in that section of track is NOT DEPENDENT on the speed of the car.

Take the analagy and apply it to your watercooling loop. The coolant spends some time in the waterblock, and some time in the radiator. Faster water flow is more "laps", each quicker. Same total time.

The impacts of faster pumps are:

1. Better cooling from better impingement and turbulence.

2. Worse cooling due to extra heat from the pump getting into the coolant.

Sorry, I am not conversant enough with ye olde worlde measuring units. I don't know cubits and I don't know feet or gallons. By memory, there are like 15 different definitions of a gallon anyway.

That said, the 1060 is typically "over the top" for even a two-block loop, introducing more heat than the additional flow rate benefits cooling.
so in an all-around-about way..
or laymens terms..
yeah the pumps too fast..
I appreciate the help btw...
He and I used some formula to figure out that 17gals a sec..which I still can't believe..
.4085xgpm/tubing-size..
in my case .4085x10/.5(squared)
which ='s 16.34...!!
16.34 feet per second.
does that sound right?
Ok, so my question goes back..do you think that a 130gph pump would still be enough for my system?
Woops..sorry the hydor is 185gph and the eheim is 158gph..

pic of how I have it setup...and the waters flow..
thanks again..