View Single Post
Unread 10-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #19
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Well, I am impatient.
I got the baseplate made today and have whacked everything together and mounted the MCW6000.
Nothing but the water temperature sensors are calibrated, and them with an old (pre meltdown) calibration.
So far the waterblock behaves fantastically, keeping the die colder than the water with a C/W of -0.07°C/W. Awesome!

Obviously some work needed but the test shows that everything is working as it should, the clamping plate works well, the fluxblock alignment is excellent (no more buggering around with trying to keep it lined up whilst "docking" the WB), the sensor cable arrangement is better, the die seems good flatness-wise.
Issues are heat, I am not happy with it. I may shave off some mm from the base of the die to reduce the heat path length. I inserted the thermistors without thermal compound because it was a pain to push them in, air gets trapped; having modelled a steady state scenario where it was unnecessary. Of course in reality response time suffers, in this case greatly, I liked the very fast respose of the earlier fluxblock, so I will redo them.
Things to do:
Reduce die height and reshape to reduce secondary losses.
Reshape clamping plate to accomodate this.
Reinsert thermistors with thermal compound, maybe drill a breather hole.
Calibrate thermistors, 0-100°
Rescript software to function with new thermistor arrangement.
Fine tune calculations to allow for heat shadowing and other non linearities. Model this.

A fair bit of work left to do before meaningful results but it seems to be progressing well.

Edit.
Bill you have PM.

Last edited by Incoherent; 10-06-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote