View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #211
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
I am curious if your the same IMOG (must be) that wrote this article about your use of a rubber band to hold a fan on your HS? http://www.overclockers.com/articles1124/

Do you think that article is good information or bad information? How many people reading that are now going to use a rubber band to hold their fan on their CPU? Confused as to why such an article would be allowed to be posted on the front page of OC? What purpose was it meant to serve? :shrug:
Theres only one, just me (you can breath a sigh of relief now).

That article was not written for the frontpage. I wrote it on OCF two months ago and sent it to Joe to see if he might get a laugh out of it also. The last article I wrote for the frontpage, was posted within 36 hours if memory serves me correctly. Clearly, these sorts of things imply a level of quality and utility they see in an article.

To answer your questions directly:

1) The article isn't information at all - its a comical piece. Anyone reading it could take from it that, yeah, big suprise, using a rubberband to attach your fan to your HS isn't a great idea... If that wasn't obvious already. Many people correctly interpreted it, and got a chuckle from its over-dramaticism and sarcasm. More than a few people mentioned they got a laugh out of it - mission accomplished.

2) I really don't care if someone else is careless enough to use a rubber band to hold a fan on their heatsink. If they don't already realize why its a bad idea, (increased airflow, heat) they should see its a bad idea now. If they still do not, great - more power to survival of the fittest... Those not wise enough to know better will be off their PC and the internet. Don't see anything negative about that. Once again, I see a sentiment here that expresses a need to protect the pathetically ignorant... Misfounded if you ask me. It is amusing how at the same time Pro/C can be rude to those who are incorrect, it fights a battle to protect the ignorant. It often makes for an interesting combination.

3) I can only imagine that they didn't have much going on that day and this was something to fill a gap. I was suprised as anyone when I got a link to the article in email, along with the words "cute article". Obviously though, I cannot answer this question - I really sent the email to give Joe a laugh, and only he could explain why it aactually got posted. I think Joe's answer might be interesting if you want to ask him.

Basically, looking at the article its a few things from my perspective - first and foremost - overstated, overdramatic, and sarcastic. Secondly, it was a testament to the fact that people sometimes worry way too much about temps and cooling failure - you see this in water and air cooling. It was lightly patronizing/mocking that line of thought. A properly configured system, won't die when a pump or fan fails and there isn't anything to be so afraid of if you have things set up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterfl
A tech writer he isnt

If you want to "wax technical", lets take turns choosing topics.

Otherwise, one would be wise to keep one's thoughts to oneself, lest he prove himself narrow-minded.

I write technical papers all the time, its not something I do as a hobby however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
oh yea, that IMOG piece was stupid beyond description
Thanks Bill. It was meant to be stupid and comical - one out of two ain't all bad.

When there isn't much exciting people with new hardware, and I'd rather someone kick me in the face than force me to read another 2500m overclocking piece... A little variety on the frontpage isn't something bad IMO.

Last edited by IMOG; 10-19-2004 at 01:47 PM.
IMOG is offline   Reply With Quote