View Single Post
Unread 09-25-2002, 11:50 AM   #26
murray13
Cooling Savant

bb2k: Two things: 1. You can and you can't just hook two power supplies up together without running a BIG risk, without knowing how computer switching power supplies work in detail. If anyone has a redundant P/S to look at there is more inside than just two supplies. There is circuitry to load balance between the two supplies. The supply rails ARE just hooked together. BUT the voltage sense lines go thru a circuit to ensure that each supply is putting out the correct voltage. If you don't have that circuit then one supply can actually become a LOAD on the first supply, and that is not good. I could go into more detail if you would like, but I think the best idea other than finding a very lg P/S cheap is to split your system up (one P/S for MB, one for HD, CD's etc.)
2. I have two redundant P/S's I'm not using. They are HUGE tripple P/S's rated at 660W. They have three slide in supplies with one in reserve. Hot swappable. But they are big, almost the size of a mini-tower. And the downside is they need a new wiring harness.

If you would really like to know some more about why it's not a good idea to actuall hook two supplies together, let me know.
murray13 is offline   Reply With Quote