View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #126
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

After bouncing e-mails back and forth with Ben at Mountain Mods about getting my res laser cut, it's in progress... so that and the glue-up of it will likely be the next update.

The machinist, Chris, who I work with at the MRI was in a bad accident and will be out for quite a while, so no mill action for a bit. he's doing well, and I'll miss talking with him... I've got a lot to learn from him.

On to the show.

Part I: F is for Flow

It so happens that the eheim 1250's outlet is 3/8" NPT, so it seemed logical that the barbs I ordered from mcmaster would fit. Well... they went in about 2/3 of the way and stopped. The thing about NPT is that it's tapered so the threads near the top of the hole are the farthest apart. If it wasn't initally tapped for the proper depth of fitting, you get my problem. Luckily, I own a full assortment of NPT taps! Away we go!

No problem. Note the evil huge 3/4" ID barb on the inlet. the 1250 gains a lot more head when it's fed with a 3/4" ID inlet. (I learned this a long, long time ago on procooling - the pump shot water ~2 feet in the air with a 1/2" inlet, and ~6 feet in the air with a 3/4"!)

(Points at 6/8 tubing) "You call that tubing" (pulls out 3/4" ID tubing) "Now this is tubing". The 1/2" ID stuff may or may not get used, I accidentally bought thin wall. if it works, fine, but if it doesn't I'll trade somebody at the lab for some 1/2"ID with 1/8" walls.

Part II: Boiling Black Cauldron

Black Rit dye, meet pot, pot, black rit dye. Thanks to zittware and his project, I decided to try out dying my polypropelene fittings black to match the rest of my case. Word to the wise - this stuff smells like nasty feet when it boils, makes a huge mess, and will stain anything it comes in contact with. Don't do it with the wife's good pots. I pulled this old thing out from my bachelor pot collection...

Stainless steel tube (scrap from another project) bent to hold the fittings up from the (very hot) bottom of the pot.

In we go..

Black cauldron (peeee-uuuuuuuu this stinks!)

Before and after. The odd thing is that they came out a bit green. Which is wierd, considering the dye is black and even diluted the dye is dark purple. I'm not sure if I like it. What do you guys think?

Dark fittings...

...or light fittings?

Post your opinion, I'd appreciate it.

Until next time, kids.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote