View Single Post
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:04 PM   #20
Deathwind
Cooling Neophyte

My response was about the possibility of the Snap 1000 using something other than boot info stored on the primary master HD to lock out other hard drives (mounting the hard drives on another system never really seemed like a big issue to me, it seems to me it would be far easier to copy your data over the network and then restore it). Although, the cable buck6919 mentioned sounds interesting...anyone toyed around with it or have any ideas about it? Pictures might also be helpful.

From the posts so far though, my guess would be that the Snap 1000 isn't using data stored on the hard drive itself. Since a slave device will be recognized and used properly by the server, I'd wager that during boot the system does a simple check on the master drive involving either the odd shaped cable mentioned earlier, or something involving data passed from the hard drive such as a serial number or model number as I talked about in my previous post. If the check fails, then it just attempts to go into maintenance mode (but, for some reason, fails as a result of the drive swap).

Also, does anyone know whether the 1100 model is affected by this same problem? Although I don't own a Snap yet, my plan was originally to buy a 1000 and swap in two 160GB drives before I saw this thread. I can get an 1100 for not too much over the 1000, so it would be interesting to me as to whether it's possible in that model. Sadly, I don't really want to invest around the $1k total to find out if it will accept the drives and then have it not function properly.

Last edited by Deathwind; 03-21-2002 at 06:08 PM.
Deathwind is offline   Reply With Quote