View Single Post
Unread 07-28-2003, 04:52 AM   #9
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by pippin88
Very nice.

A few questions: Why are you using so few of the available mounting holes? What's the internal layout like?
Is the block put wrongly on the card? It looks a few mm to one side of where it looks like it should be, for both mounting hole coverage and GPU coverage. Also if I'm right about it being misaligned, then more of the mounting holes line up.
Cross posting as I was typing ,the other reply when you posted.

well spotted! To answer your questions, the intention was to use the reference heatsink holes only so that it should fit a later card that may not have all the holes, (at least in theory), BUT I messed up on the drawing/milling, and so one of the holes it uses is different. I didn't think it needed all of them for good retention anyway. The 5900 GPU is like a P4, having a heat spreader plate on top the core (being similar to the Radeon 9xxx if it were removed). The top of this GPU is slightly convex and this actually helps in a way ensure good centre contact, (at least is better than the concave Geforce 3/4's).

Due to how difficult it is to 100% accurately make all the holes in the same place as the card, and to allow adjustment of the blocks for when they connect together I used M2 screws. This allows a small amount of movement and is why it looks skewed in the pics as I just quickly fixed in place for the pics with a few screws. It sounds easy to just make six holes in the block line up in the same place as the card ones, but to get all of then in exactly the same place is not as easy as it sounds, (at least when not having access to production equipment), so smaller screws is my solution to allow some room for error.

Here's a few pics of it lined up better, the fact you can still see the edge of the GPU to the left is again another slight milling / calculation error on my part, but as this part of the GPU is not in contact with the block base, it doesn't matter other than it looks untidy. Where the GPU rises up to the contact surface is about 5mm further in anyway.

Last edited by BladeRunner; 07-30-2004 at 05:05 AM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote