View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #16
Hoot
Cooling Neophyte

Some times an education costs some money. I finally got a little time to hook up the pump in place of my Eheim 1250. Up til tonight, I did not realize the relationship between how restrictive a block is and what constitutes too much front-end pressure for that degree of restriction. But then, I've never seen 1/8" walled Tygon 3603 sucked almost flat like a soda straw in a too-cold milk shake. On the supply side, that same 1/8" walled Tygon ballooned to about 1/3 again its original diameter. Blew the rubber stopper out of my tee tube and across the room. Boy you sure couldn't sell Water Wetter as a bath product, believe-you-me! The dog woudn't come out from under the bed for 10 minutes. Thankfully, my system was not running at the time.

After changing clothes, blotting up all the water I could, recharging the loop with fresh coolant and putting a hoseclamp around that stopper, I had another go at it. By not allowing the pressure in the loop to equalize, the suction side hose did not collapse as bad but the air particles in the water took on such diffuse suspension that it looked the consistancy of skim milk. They would not rise up the tee tubevery far before being observed getting sucked back down from what appeared to be an atomizing effect due to the water velocity. I'm sure the high system pressure didn't help them expand much either. No leaks though in the heater core or blocks.

It kind of reaffirms one of my early intentions of using the system to build a two stage cooling solution. on the MD70 side will be the reservoir, camaro heater core and a Swiftech MCW462-UT. It will be coupled to an MCW6002 on the other side and the chilled water will be pumped to my actual CPU block with my trusty Eheim 1250 or whatever DC pump I might end up going with. That's my initial plan anyway.

And yes, the MD70 does dump some serious heat into the loop. More I'd estimate than my CPU and GPU blocks combined. The camaro core and undervolted Patriot fan almost kept the water ther same temperature as with the Eheim, it ending up about 3C warmer before I grew weary of the MD70 pump noise and called it a night. You sure could hear those jets in my G5 clone squirting. They'd probably erode the copper in the bottom of the cups given enough time. The microscopic air bubbles no-doubt exagerated the jet noise as they went through. Good way to scrub out your system.

Hoot
Connect 3D x850xt 620/625
2x WD 36GB Raptors in Raid0
DIY Jet Impingement WB on CPU / Pipecap WB on GPU
Shrouded Camaro Heater Core / Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Antec P-160 Tower / Seasonic S12 600W PSU
MAXIM 6658 Thermal Diode Reader
Moderator at OCForums
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote