View Single Post
Unread 04-29-2003, 05:17 PM   #44
N8
Cooling Neophyte

From my experience:

My full time systems get 10 - 20 % automotive antifreeze (Prestone, etc., the green stuff.) and I use 300 psi automotive grade hose (not clear tubing.) The rest is distilled water.

The cooling efficiency is not as good when you add more antifreeze.

The opaque (solid, not clear) hoses also cut down on organic growth (lack of light into the liquid.)

There is minimal growth over time. I haven't run a system more than 6 months without upgrading or taking things apart, but there has not been much, if any, scum to clean up after a 6 month period.

Anytime I do testing, it is usually for a couple weeks with just distilled water. Any gunk growth and I run 10% household bleach/90% distilled water through the system for about an hour.

I have never had a problem with it eating hoses, aluminum, brass, or copper, when run in that concentration for that short of time.

The antifreeze use has poison issues if you have pets and/or kids in the house, so you have to take that into account, or use something else.

I have run systems with the 10-20% antifreeze solution that contain aluminum, brass and copper, and have not had any problems over the years with corrosion.

My $0.03, your results may vary.
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote