View Single Post
Unread 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
trodas
Cooling Neophyte

Re: Seagate 200G drive ugly clicking when idle!

Quote:
Its called STIR (Seek To Improve Reliability) where the drive does random seeking to avoid the head sitting on the same place on the disk, which they reckon could heat up that particular track on the platter.
Now just HOW TO DISABLE IT. (better KILL IT WITH FIRE, tough...)

Another user says this:
Quote:
Have two 7200.8s, and they click. Have a 7200.9, doesn't click.
So I checked and indeed, mine are 7200.7 ...
Now if the change between 7200.8 and 7200.9 is in firmware only and I belive it is, then just using the firmware from 7200.9 into my 7200.7 ones will help!

Anyone have 200G 7200.9 Seagate drive? And who know, how to download and then flash the firmware on drive?
That could be a quick and easy solution!

Anyway, I was wrong.

Pictures of 200G Seagate drivers, from left my7200.7 and then 7200.8 type (this one won't click/generate noise in iddle):

(click to see full size)

It is obvious that I was wrong and 7200.7 to 7200.8 is not only a firmware difference, but the PCB id different as well. Probably the number of disks inside are same, but that hardly matters now.
So, there is no way to flash no-clicking firmware to 7200.7 from 7200.8

But there is good news as well. I just find out, that Seagate sometimes send no-clicking firmware, as is written on this forum:
http://forums.storagereview.net
...so, attack Seagate now and f*cking demand the damn firmware now! :twisted:

PS. I already get suggested to use SysTool http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/ to disable the AAM :lol: Of course, the drives have NO AAM to set or disable
Well, at least ppl's is trying to help.