View Single Post
Unread 12-07-2002, 11:02 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Since87
I'm not sure how relevant the numbers for an ASME nozzle are since, in this case, the nozzle would be going from a circular cross-section to a roughly rectangular cross-section.

I'd thought of the nose cone idea as well, but I haven't figured out a means to attach them without serious risk of messing up the microchannels, or rather extreme difficulty. In addition I'd guess that, unless the nose cone is soldered on copper, you lose some cooling from the water hitting the top of the fin. Does the improvement in flow counterbalance that loss?

Something like that could be integrated into the barb insert I was proposing, but that's well beyond my fabrication capabilities.
I think any bit helps, but I agree the resulting difference may be negligeable, and may very well not lower CPU temps by a measurable amount.

I don't see where you guess that the nose cone must be soldered to the top, nor how it would have to be soldered to the fins. One certainly wouldn't want any stagnant water though.

I would simply solder copper pieces to the middle plate, and file/sand them to shape. As for the inside of the barb, I'd simply shape a block of plexy/resin/epoxy and attach it inside the barb (just about any adhesive would do).

All of this can be done in a way that is completely reversible, but as Cathar pointed out, it would be a user customization, because he's not going to be doing all that, since it definitely doesn't justify the additional expense/cost.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote