View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #363
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

If you test just the waterblocks at various flow rates and control for water temp then you essentially do this. The lower flow rates would represent lower powered pumps and the higher rates higher powered pumps.
As a side note, there are quite a few US systems using 1048 sized pumps. The mystery from the US side is why you would then use 6mm ID tubing (and possibly a radiator of serpentine tubing) to further hamper flow.
For instance, I completely understand using lower powered (or undervolted) fans to reduce noise BUT I don't understand why you would not then do everything you can to let air flow easily through the case. In a parallel way, I also understand using a quiet/silent pump BUT don't understand why you would hamper it with narrow-gauge tubing.

Oh - I also think Pug may have been misunderstood here. IMHO he was done in by the same urge that helped you - he tries to build systems that perform as well as they can - which would mean a better radiator/fans and more flow (either via larger diameter hoses or a more effective pump or possibly both). If I had someone assembling a system for me this is exactly what I would want.

Unfortunately, using a system like that to represent low flow systems in a comparison doesn't answer the question of "are the low flow systems getting nearly the same heat transfer performance as the high flow systems?".
One thing to remember is that this is a group of people who are willing to question one of their base assumptions (high flow performs better). Of course it's a bit contentious. Of course there are folks who are unwilling to be persuaded by words - only actual tests will do it.
IMHO this makes ProCooling a very unusual place on the web. I'm pretty glad they let me at least be a hang around here.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote