View Single Post
Unread 04-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Hoot
Cooling Neophyte

I'm betting it'll deal with flow restrictive blocks fairly well. As far as how much heat it adds to the water, I imaging a lot depends upon how cool the the pump itself is kept. In my current setup, my 1250 sits right in front of the exhaust fan for the radiator, catching quite a lot of airflow. Doing a similar approach with the MD-70RZ should help. Heck, I have a substantial amount of 24ga copper sheet that I could fashion fins from and affix them to the pump casing as far as that goes. Realistically speaking, I realize a lot of the heat generated in the pump doesn't get conducted to the housing for easy removal. It will be easy to measure how much heat it contributes to the water once I get it and I'll proceed from there. I got a notice already that it shipped. I was non-plussed at the $27US for shipping until I saw the shipping notice say it weighs 25kg! It should be here on Tuesday and I'll report in then. Hope my tubing and heater core can take the pressure. In pursuit of an externally located heat exchanger, I probably should order some more tubing. Wish I had thought of that earlier today. Oh well, I can play with it mounted internally for a few days until the tubing arrives. I've got all kinds of experiments planned for this acquisition. Finally, I'll dust off the water chiller that's been sitting on my to-do shelf for the past year and a half, as well as a whoopass TEC waterblock I want to try in a two stage setup. My electronics room is situated such that my PC sits about .3m from the wall that separates that room from my workshop. My intention is to place the external cooling solution, whatever it winds up being on the other side of that (cinderblock) wall and piping through it into the electronics room. Good sound isolation that way. Also, the workshop is unheated and for about 7 months out of the year, it's around 10C in there. I have to run a small radiant heater to work in there so that my fingers don't go numb. 2 months it's about 20C and the remaining 3 it's about 30C. Total run distance from the external heat exchanger to the PC will be about 1.5-2m and fairly level.

Hoot
Connect 3D x850xt 620/625
2x WD 36GB Raptors in Raid0
DIY Jet Impingement WB on CPU / Pipecap WB on GPU
Shrouded Camaro Heater Core / Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Antec P-160 Tower / Seasonic S12 600W PSU
MAXIM 6658 Thermal Diode Reader
Moderator at OCForums
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote