View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Introduction & A Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavyre View Post
Well as it stands I had to use the money I was going to put into this NAS into a Compy for the GF's daughter, she just started college. Kinda a bummer there on the NAS project, not the college
Yup, know the feeling...

Quote:
On a similar note the I retested all the drives while building/fixing some new compys; and all the drives checked out save a few relocated sectors on one of them. So I rebuild the raid as a 10 and it's been running for over a week with no errors... weird.
Uh, relocated sectors is a failing drive. Replace the drive ASAP...

Quote:
So until I get over $500 saved up again, I'm going to have to put off the SATA conversion, which is a def bummer.
Been there, done that...

Quote:
The main issue I seem to be posed with right now is the need for a NAS at home. I dismantled the one I had because I needed some of the parts to finish 3 other computers for GF's kids and a friends kids (man, help out one, and they all bitch that the others is better).
Quote:
But the NAS MUST get replaced. I only have one of the 2 TB drives left and it's sitting in may main with (2) 1 TB's being mirrored with Goodsync and they are way to close to full. Burned some data to Bluray but ran out of discs. As it stands I'm not losing to much sleep over it but, data lose in this setup is never completely out of my head (annoying).
Well, my many years of experience has taught me at least one valuable lesson over and over. The probability of failure is directly proportional to the lack of backups. I think it is one of the Murphy's Laws. And sadly, it has always held true.

Quote:
So any advice on a 4 bay Snap that is quiet enough (19-20 dba ish) and would not break the bank (under a grand with drives, looking to buy in about 6 weeks). Was also curious if I SATA converted a older Snap unit how well the WD AV drives would work it. I need about 4-6 TB of storage, but might be able to justify 6-9 with the price of the AV drives. We have been using the PS3's (3 in the house) to stream video apposed to burning it; allot more frequently. To the point of not wanting to go back to discs. So the media folders are getting quite Massive.

Any thoughts are wanted and welcome.
I have not tested any with a sound meter, but in my opinion, a Snap 4400 or Snap 410 would be the right ticket for you. I myself prefer the 4400 as I think it is a more solid unit and a bit quieter. These are 4 drive GOS units and are quiet enough for my living room serving up my media files.

I have a 4400 I was going to put up for sale later this fall (since I have two SanBloc S50 units) if you are interested. It has 4 x 500 GB WD AV drives in it and GOS 5.2. If you are interested, shoot me a reasonable offer.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote