Unread 10-15-2004, 04:19 PM   #54
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
the in-house philosophy is that "MC_" is a recognized branding
comments ?
Does it actually stand for anything?

Its pretty hard to remember - I mean, even you've accidentally put MCP6002 before

The longer the name, the more confusing in my opinion - I mean, at the end of the day, names are for the newbies - when you're new to a topic, with all the info floating about its hard to remember a name that long, and thats not the best thing for a product. Many successfully branded items in the past have very short, simple names - ipod (what the hell does that even mean?) is an example, along with imac etc etc.

Finding a nice sounding name without either sounding pretenious or cheesy is the hard part - the whole 3 letter thing that people like to use is overdone, in my opinion (and im sure a road that you dont want to go down).

Even adding 'swiftech' to the front/end of the names wouldn't be a bad idea, and perhaps reducing the waterblock number length; but making it a more permanent thing - I understand taking the branding off the front might be a bad thing, but enforcing the use of the brand name could be better.

ie

Swiftech 62s-64
Swiftech 60s-A
SWB62s-P4 (Swiftech water block)
SW60s-64 (Swiftech waterblock)

ha, just looked at dictionary.com in search of some words that would pertain to it - the 'swiftech aquajuice 6000'. Amazing what random words can come up

Re: laser - yeah, probably wouldn't be cheap - wonder if it would be possible to press out a smaller top layer, and join it to a thicker bottom layer - may as well be etched then though. Although, you could make the two layers pressed, and have the swiftech logo slightly larger in the top layer, and you'd have a nice stroked internal effect on the lettering, which leaves a few options (especially for modders, if you could paint the two parts seperately) for painting - ie, two tone paint for a specific mod is always nice.

I personally like the see-though aspect though, and when people are installing the blocks is when they'll notice it most. Its little touches like that which make the buyer think that the designer has taken every step to make the product an enjoyable experience-

Tripe time (yes, Industrial designer by trade) -

Every product is an experience, treat it as such when you're designing it. Pick it up, out of the box, and treat it like its the first time you've seen one - what strikes you instantly?
Probably the non-bling copper, so something would have to be done about that first. Do they come with the plate preinstalled? If not, I'd do that personally... but make it a requirement that the plate has to come off somehow (perhaps plastic wrap the block so the paint doesnt get damaged, if you decide to paint the blocks).

Perhaps the mounting kit and instructional details need a bit of bling factor? Make a small stainless/alu bracket that holds the mounting kits together, much like a model airplane set - you have to 'twist' out the mounting kits (just physically because of the design, not the fact they're attached to the alu), making it seem like they're the first person to touch it.

The packaging and how its arranged can be done very cheaply and make a big impression - a nice segmented flat box will make a better impression than the boxs that you're using now, by the looks of it.

If you make the experience pleasant (ooh look at this pretty chrome, and this seethrough bit!) then people are going to be more likely to recommend it, regardless of whether it cools well or not - unless its a subpar performer, of course, which we know this block isnt. I know this has been said already, but its vitally important to a product at the end of the day.

/end tripe

Guess I missed out on the prize hah

Last edited by Etacovda; 10-15-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote