View Single Post
Unread 03-26-2003, 10:51 AM   #40
Graystar

I'm sorry, but I just can't figure out what those charts are showing me. I don't know what "30x10x1.1mm" means. The calculation for Convection Coefficient considers area only. What's that third dimension? Is that the channel height? Is that implying that my channel should be taller?

Also, as Convection Coefficient is a property of the boundary, it is unaffected by base thickness, and can be considered a constant when trying to calculate the effects of base thickness. Therefore, I am confused by its appearance in the charts.

Finally, there is absolutely no explanation whatsoever as to how the C/W is calculated. "C/W" is Thermal Resistance. The thermal resistance through a solid increases with the length of the solid. That is a fundamental. In the matter at hand, base thickness is the length. For any given area, it is impossible for a solid with a longer length to have a lower thermal resistance than a solid with a shorter length. So I simply don't understand what that first chart is demonstrating.

I also have no idea what the second chart is showing, or why it's there.

Les, can you explain the charts and how you arrived at these numbers?
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote