View Single Post
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Re: Ben's Hackintosh Build in a G5 PowerMac Case... (Need some input on hardware)

Update: 1/9/11

From my thread on O/C:

Quote:
Update

Processor is in, RAM is in... Don't have an 1156 heatsink but that's nothing a couple zip ties won't fix for the sake of testing. Tried a Leopard install but it won't boot. No worries though, people have installed Snow Leopard on the board I have. So here's some pics... And a shot of the HW monitor so people don't think I'm nuts for using zip ties to hold a heatsink onto my new processor I just spend $180 on.

So, a little soldering to go, a better cooling solution, something for the front IO... some research and a 16 GB flash drive and I should be good to go!

Original Post

Update: 1/12/11

From my thread on O/C:

Quote:
Pics of a successful Snow Leopard install:

Original Post

Update: 1/12/11

From my thread on O/C:

Quote:
Yup, went to the hardware store tonight and grabbed four bolts, four wingnuts, four locking nuts, four neoprene washers and four nylon washers. Those will be used to mount one of the G5 blocks to my CPU, just need to make a mount top plate.

I manually changed the CPU name from displaying as "Unknown" by editing a system file. Still need to make it display as a Mac Pro vs an iMac, I think the reason it shows as one is because this is 10.6.0 and the iMacs were probably the only Core i apples at the time 10.6 came out.

Some screen shots:

1920x1080 Desktop Screenshot

Very satisfied with this so far, good things to come!

Original Post