View Single Post
Unread 05-31-2004, 05:41 AM   #60
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
I believe that someone tried running a LRWW block backwards, but I don't remember if it was a White Water or a Cascade. The result was a bump in CPU temp in the order of 10 to 15 deg C, as I recall.
Last night it hit me what BB2K was referring to.

Someone sold a Cascade second hand to a guy where the guy who sold it had installed the middle jet plate in up-side down. I have no idea as to why it did not leak as there was no O-ring seal between the middle and copper plates now, and the inlet of the block was basically washing over the ends of the jet tubes and moving straight on to the outlet, and almost never ever coming into contact with the copper except for on the small circular section off to one size where the middle plate outlet was located against the copper plate. Some water through the momentum on the inlet must've been forced down the tubes into the cups, and the pressure imbalance would've had a very small amount of water flowing over the tops of the cups and up and out of the other jet tubes that weren't directly under the inlet.

Indeed, this guy was reporting something like a 15C difference after flipping the middle plate back the correct way. I remember now that I was utterly amazed that it even worked at all without frying his CPU.

I remember this guy's story now because the middle plate had cracked as a result of the misinstallation and we arranged to replace it, which was a "blue moon" request.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote