View Single Post
Unread 12-05-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Default Jet impingement nozzles - defiling my white water block.

I can't help tinkering with my white water block before I've even installed it in a system. I took a reamer to the outlet barbs. I've opened them up fairly substantially and nearly gotten rid of an abrupt decrease in diameter that these barbs have.

The question I have now involves a potential mod to the inlet portion of the block.

I've done a little research on fan shrouding and pump inlet design issues, and it seems pretty clear that abrupt changes in the shape and size of the waterflow path are undesireable because of eddys that result in wasted pressure drop. (Anyone who can phrase this in a more technically correct way, please do so.)

I'm thinking that if I could make some sort of insert to fit in the inlet barb, and smooth the transition from the circular cross-section of the barb, to the long slot in the nozzle plate, it might be of benefit.

So:

Would it be of benefit?

Would it only be of benefit if the shape was exactly right to 1 mil tolerances?

Would the shape be dependent on the flowrate?

Anybody able to put a ball park quantity on the amount of benefit that might be achieved? I realize I haven't provided any dimensions here, and I won't be providing any dimensions without Cathar's consent. I'm just wondering if someone (hmm Dave maybe) could easily give an educated guess at this.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make an insert like this? (Looking for a DIY method, not "Draw it up on a CAD system and have it milled." Modelling clay, plaster mold, cast JBWeld, sounds feasible to me.)

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitewater_mod.jpg (6.5 KB, 300 views)
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote