View Single Post
Unread 06-16-2004, 09:21 AM   #30
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Okay dokay, I just got back from dropping the frame at the powder coater. The synopsis is that they're concerned about coating the jbweld on the rear plate, but if they do a negative charge spray on it, it should be fine. Everything else is getting positive charge spray.

I've picked out two colors, one wrinkle coat black (RAL 9005) and one high gloss black (also RAL 9005). RAL is the color standard that the powdercoating industry uses. He also informed me that they have a (VERY EXPENSIVE) glow in the dark powder coat! Pretty cool stuff!

I really wish I had taken my camera with me, it was a very neat operation. At Nittany Powdercoating, Ed Lundy, the man I spoke to was very, very nice and also highly informed of how things worked. He had no problem explaining the details of powdercoating to me.

We went out and did a parts count of all the bits for the project, 12 to get gloss black, 9 to get texture coat. I said that he'd need to plug any threaded hole, with the exception of the large threaded holes in the 4 long rails that run front to back, no problem. Apparently, the plug them with various different sized tapered silicon plugs. The plugs are good to 600 degrees before they'll start to burn.

The process for my parts will be a 400*F burn off oven, and then a solvent tank. Some of the parts will need to have where I marked them in permenant marker sanded off, but no biggie there.

Time table to recieving chassis back: 1 to 2 WEEKS

Yippee!

Here are some pics.

For my reference, how the drive cage area attaches to the rails.

These are all the parts that get high gloss black: 3 drive cages, 3 sets of HDD rails, Expansion card/mobo plate, PSU plate

These are the parts that get the crinkle coat black: MOBO plate, rear plate, front plate, drive cage (L+R)

The whole shabang just before it went in the trunk of my car.

Believe it or not, the Powder Coating place (Nittany Powdercoating) is like 5 minutes from my house. Sorta hard to find (I messed up the first time) but really nice and close. If this comes out like the samples/works in progress i saw (which were really great) I'd definitly recommend him to any of my fellow modders.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote