View Single Post
Unread 02-25-2003, 01:43 AM   #7
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

I think it might be a valid point. Reasoning:

Yes my PSU is withing "normal" operating variables. However, I really dont like my 5V rail dipping that low below 5.0V at all. Also right now I am having to deal with some serious stability problems that could easily be explained by a low 5V rail.

My current PSU is an Enermax EG651P-VE 550W PSU. (BTW my "dick" size was perfectly fine before I bought this unit. )
I got such a large PSU because I am running: 5 disk SCSI RAID array, 3 CDROM drives, Radeon 9700, and all the works including a highly OC CPU that is very power hungry. I figured that if I invest in a large PSU that I would not have to worry about a 300W PSU going up in smoke due to all the devices on this thing.

All this is supose to do is move more of the load off the 5V & 3.3V rail to the 12V rail where there seems to be plenty of headroom to spare. Yes, this would add another point of failure. Yes, it seems counter productive. I am just wondering if it is worth it or not. Otherwise, I will have to invest in ANOTHER Large PSU and that does not appeal to me at the moment (not if there is another alternative that might be interesting to try)

There is still a part of me that tried to make due with what I have available AND make it look/sound interesting at the same time.
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote