View Single Post
Unread 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #52
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

@sysadmin: sometimes you get what you wish for

@redphoenix: shroud was constructed out of fiberglass layed over a wood form. Spiv (a friend in florida) did the paint and bondo work to get it perfect. He's awesome!

Upendaten.

Modification of HP 9200i SCSI CDRW (8x4x32, hey, it works fast enough for my taste, and its SCSI!) for external indicators and remote eject.

The victim.

Parts I had to remove for custom front panel to sit flush: volume control & headphone jack. Desoldering went rather easily, and they're both in my spare parts bin now

Wires leading to headers on the rear of the board tacked on. Stock LEDs removed. Interface to uC chassis control board for LEDs will by via optoisolator (easiest way ) and the remote eject triggered by a 4066 analog switch IC. Big ups to HP for labelling their PCB!

External interface. Ran out of room to loop the wires through! so I brought it up and around the edge of the board. The internal plastic was also modified to trim about a 1/4" out of the way for the wiring to clear the housing. No pic of that... Nobody would ever want a guide for this, who the hell still uses an 8x writer other than me!

The tray before I dyed it black (no after shots. its a black tray, big deal.)

Removed vertical mounting ears on tray prior to dying.

I expect my noritake VFD to get here on friday or so.

Today was my last day at my old workplace! i start my new job on monday. The family and I are going to an amusement park tommorow, but I've got friday dedicated to doing the same mod on my DVD-305S slot load SCSI DVD-ROM.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote