View Single Post
Unread 01-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #11
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by hara
The difference to cathar's design is that as the distance from the cpu core gets larger, the base gets thicker, aiding in better conductivity. Here, the are above the core is cooled by a microchannel which extends deep into the copper.
This is how I built my block though it's made from Al, minus the channels and nozzle and add three barbs. If you were to look at mine face down you would see a two stepped hole and it tapers off to a fine point in the center just above the die with swirling turbulators running up the sides. The tapered idea allows you to get as thin of a base in the center of the heat area without comprimizing the surface strength of the metal touching the die. I managed to get within 1mm in the center before I quit. I thought of the idea after watching about fire fighting. Kill the source of heat which is dead center in the middle. If you do that then the block should be able to cool the surrounding area effeciantly. It works great for me with Al to aleast 7C delta - I like to try it in copper and see if I could knock that down by 2C more to tie or come close to Cathar's. Though it won't work well for a pelt.

I doubt you would be able to beat Cathar's design but you never know till you give it a whirl. I think it will work well but I think you will have problems with flow rates. I don't understand how flow works in your design.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote