View Single Post
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
killernoodle
Thermophile

I would drop that 40gig, it is way too expensive per gb with no real performance benefit. I would buy more memory so more of the game could be loaded up to that. The rest of the setup is ok, but the watercooling is overcomplicated. You only need one pump and one radiator. Keep the tubing simple, if you try to make too many bends and stuff pretty soon it becomes impossible to work in the case.

And aluminum isnt bad for cooling. Sometimes you can feel parts of an aluminum case (such as the HDD rack) and they are physically warm to the touch, which means they are contributing to the cooling.

In essence, buy a single large radiator for you purposes, having a bunch of tiny ones is really a waste of time. The polarflo TT is not very high performance, especially for the money, but it is blingy. Do what you like with this, but I would recommend a TDX for you. The DD 6800 is a nice block for cooling the whole card, so if you get something else you will probably need ramsinks. The problem with the 6800 is that if you upgrade your card later you will have to upgrade the waterblock as well. I would recommend a generic waterblock for this purpose that can be used on any mounting system. Keep all of your stuff on a single loop. You will not see an overall performance benefit from having 2 loops, only an increase of noise, complexity, possibility of leaking, and cost. If you are considering 2 radiators on 2 loops, put both radiators on a single loop for even more benfit.

Also, I thought those processors have a built in memory controller so there is less demand on the NB. If this is the case you may want to consider eliminating this block from your loop.