View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2003, 01:13 PM   #230
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
I don't think #1 would beat jet inpingement, and that's most of the problem.

#2 isn't really relevant, it just applies to the design, as needed.

#3 again, only if the design calls for it. Otherwise, the product's appeal would be both function and form, and would be a high-end product, and that's a pretty small audience.

#4 Now there's something I've explored before (aka running the water in a circular motion), but gave it up when I realized that the cold water molecules would be thrown outside of a circumference, because of their higher density, and I didn't have (couldn't figure out) any way of taking advantage of that. The twisterbong itself can't be applied directly to a waterblock, because of the air involved.

There's also the issue of added heat, from the stirring action required to force the water to run in a circular motion.

I think it's clear that it comes down to reducing the thermal resistance, and with water, that means throwing it into turbulence. Since we can't do it with sheer pumping action, we're down to turbulators and/or jet inpingement. This is where I'm stuck.

Either there's another (third or fourth) way to get turbulence, or there's something radically different out there than what we've been thinking, to reduce that thermal resistance, between the copper baseplate, and the water.:shrug:

You know, there's another part of this that's so significant, that it might be worth approaching again: the TIM joint is now a very significant part of the temp difference, between the CPU and air temp. As Cathar recently wrote in AMDMB's forums, it's ~70% of the whole temperature gradient. It's also detailed in the OCAU thread.

A radical approach would be to incorporate an actuator in the block itself. There are other considerations though. The cycling would wreak havoc on a paste style tim.
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote