View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2003, 08:32 PM   #238
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by GTA
Lastly, to Cathar, was Dtek releasing their WW a factor in getting this block to the market quickly?
DTek was not a factor at all.

Spent quite a deal of money playing with the Hydra micro-channel GPU blocks, and could not get a way to machine them cheaply with the limited setup funds I had. Accrued some largish bills along the way.

Releasing the Cascade design became a financial necessity for me. Ideally I would've held onto it for a little longer, but I've got bills to pay, and a family to support with another child on the way, and a mortgage, and my machinists were getting antsy about when I was going to either deliver them some real business other than prototyping, or when I was going to cough up the bills and piss off and stop wasting their time.

I guess that's the unglamorous side of the game eh? Whether you buy all the tools yourself, or you emply some professionals to do the job for you, it the end it all comes down to needing the funds to do the research.

Still, I wouldn't say I rushed the block though. I took as much time as was needed and put a few hundred hours of research into it once I really started focussing on it. Up until 3 weeks ago I would say that even then I was still undecided as to whether to not I'd make them up, and would've just paid the machinists off out of my own money over time.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote