View Single Post
Unread 03-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #38
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

Dont even bother casting copper. it melts at around 1083c iirc, so you need a flame temp of about 1300c. The container you melt it in has to withstand the temp and insulate it well or the heat wont stay in the copper.
the main problem with casting copper is it oxidises VERY whichly when molten, which means if its melted and poured around oxygen, you WILL get bubbbles in the final thing once its cooled down, which can lead to leaks and other problems. Unless you can remove the oxygen there is no point in trying with copper. Also iirc some one was killed when trying to cast copper as the mould was still wet and it exploded. If you attempt it make sure you think of how to do it safely.
Aluminuim is probably a lot easyer to cast, melts at 660c and afaik has no problems with oxygen (this wasnt mentioned when I was reseaching casting).

Yesterday I tryed to remove a MOSFET from a dead nf7-s but I couldnt. The soldering iron I had was 30w you probably need about 60w to do it. I expect it could damage the mobo or even the mosfet to remove it. If you can get spare MOSFETs from the maker of them then you could simply cut the original mosfet leads to get round this problem.
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote