View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #148
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Default Re: Sick Algae Buildup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Whats the concensus with this stuff? Im looking for clean distilled water when I change my water. Im going to avoid UV colors this time around I think. Clear is for me and this seams the closest way.
If you read this thread, then you know that there ISN'T any consensus. I still say that I believe the safest thing for watercooling is to use opaque tubing, 75% distilled water and 25% antifreeze.

All dyes seem to cause precipitation which is hard on the pump and ugly on the tubing. Clear tubing looks good, but light enables the growth of algae. Non-distilled water has minerals that precipitate out onto the waterblock and/or allow galvanic corrosion. Commercial formulas work fine (usually) but cost quite a bit more. This is a recipe for cheap reliability, not ultimate performace or great looks.

For better performance, use 100% distilled water and clean the system out once every 30-60 days (being sure not to have dissimilar metals which will allow galvanic corrosion).

For better looks, use clear tubing, distilled water, and the dye of your choice. Then be prepared to replace tubing as the dye precipitates out onto it and leaves spots. Also, watch your pump to ensure that the preciptates (like sand) don't cause failure. Flush the system and clean it out every 30 days to six months.

Flushing the system is easy. Running the pump with any of the cleaning mixtures you see (hot pine-sol and alcohol is a good combo for me) will help degunk a system that has gotten nasty. You can also put your tubing into very hot (200F/95C) water with dish washing detergent. Let it soak and then rinse it with hot water, then cold distilled water (throwing that last distilled water rinse away before refilling it with your coolant of choice).
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote