View Single Post
Unread 01-20-2002, 07:31 PM   #16
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by MechCD
Water contains 2items, hydrogen and oxygen. Aluminum is below both of these in the electron chart. Copper is above hydrogen, the main problem element in a water cooled system. therfore, the water would corrode if it could, but it can't because it is a liquid. The oxygen will eventually cause the the copper to oxidize after a very long time.

Aluminum and water put together is just a bad idea anyways.
i understand that completely... BUT the thing is the straight distilled water cups has ABSOLUTELY NO CORROSION, while the RedLine and PurpleIce have PLENTY (when they are supposed to prevent corrosion), infact the PurpleIce cup turned a noticible black after only 2 hours....

maybe we are misinterpreting what is going on... the aluminum has become covered in a black coating... basically tarnished..... tarnish IS corrosion... right?

i guess my concern is that all these water cooling people are relying on additives to stop corrosion.... right now a huge threat is goin for the aluminum users. BUT copper systems do not have identical copper. therefore, the copper will corrode, but at a much slower pace..... and also there is the oxidation from water as previously stated

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 01-20-2002 at 07:47 PM.
DigitalChaos is offline   Reply With Quote