View Single Post
Unread 09-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
Sin22
Cooling Neophyte

Default Discussion of heatsink designs

Thought this would be an interesting topic to bring back up.

In my experience, I've seen several heatsinks that boast impressive thermal resistance figures and in actual use also tend to have better load temperatures than a comparitive high-end heatsink.

However, when it boiled down to overclocking, sometimes the opponent would win. Case in point, the old Thermalright SLK900A vs Swiftech MCX462-V.

Well, recently a similar phenomenon has occured. Comparing a Coolermaster Hyper6 versus a Tuniq Tower120 HSF, load temp difference was almost 10degC in favor of the Tuniq.

Yet, currently, the Tower120 is unable to keep my Venice at 2.8GHz as what my old Hyper6 was capable of doing.

Now what I'm hoping to get going is a discussion on what sorts of designs, at least for the current heatpipe style coolers, work best in both promoting low temps, but more importantly, high overclocking headroom.

I'd like to get my hands on a Titan Vannessa L-Type HSF to see what its like. Thus, far I've only had a chance to try out XP90 or tower style heatpipe heatsinks and with varying degrees of overclocking headroom.

The L-Type uses a big ass heatpipe right over the core and this seems to gel with the theory of getting both low temps and high overclocking headroom due to the large amount of heat capable of being removed.

Your thoughts?
Sin22 is offline   Reply With Quote