View Single Post
Unread 05-31-2006, 07:23 AM   #4
mx
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Power Supply for Triple Peltier Setup

PSU
A new PSU capable of powering those three TECs won't be cheap, and if you want one that fits inside a CD bay it will be 2-3 slots high. Like ricecrispi wrote MeanWell probably has a suitable PSU, google can probably help you find a reseller. I'd try ebay instead, although you probably won't find one that fits inside a CD bay there.

EDIT: If you run them at 12V you only need ~45A which isn't very much. You won't have any troubles finding a PSU that fits in one CD bay slot and it won't be very expensive. (I was thinking 18W+ TECs.) SE-600-12 looks like a good PSU, altough you might want to look for a PSU with more than 12V, preferably one that's adjustable between 12 and 15V so you can find the sweet spot for your setup where you get the lowest temps.

Pump
Why Eheim 1260? It's not very cheap, it's big (and ugly!) and it doesn't perform very well. Sure it's got ~2400L/h but it won't perform anywhere near that in a real loop with only 3.7m head pressure. It eats 65w(!) and most of it probably ends up in the water, but I guess 50w extra to cool wont make much of a difference to you since you already have 500w+ in the loop. A couple of DDC-Ultras would give you 8-9m head and ~1000L/h with top mounted inlets, and they would dump around 20w in the water. This would most certainly give you a much better flow than the 1260, with less then half as much heat dump! If you want extreme performance get an Iwaki MD30.

Blocks
Why maze4? I'd go with Swiftechs MCW60-T or Silverprops Cyclone FusionSLT for the GPUs and maybe a modified Apogee for the CPU. MCW60-Ts cold plate and insulation should fit on Apogee too since it's almost the same block, it may require some minor modifications though.

Radiator
You will need a really good radiator to cool this beast, which one are you planing to use?

Last edited by mx; 05-31-2006 at 07:31 AM.
mx is offline   Reply With Quote