View Single Post
Unread 06-23-2003, 10:41 PM   #74
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

Default Comments from a Newb, what I want...

Interesting thread, but I'm not seeing a lot of comment from us lowly newb types... Thought I'd pitch in my two cents worth

I fall in the category of the target audience pretty well. I'm making my blocks, and would like to see how they do. I'm not so much interested in comparing to an air block (I might not even get an air block!) as in finding out if I have 'acceptable' performance.

OTOH, I don't want to spend a lot of money just on testing gear, in part because I don't have it.

I am planning to get a Digi-doc (or equivalent, but I haven't seen any comparable alternatives mentioned)

I have a cheapo DVM with a temp probe.

One other constraint that I have, and I suspect others might share, is that I am NOT willing to do warranty voiding, and potentially destructive mods like cutting up my CPU sockets, or other non-reversible changes. (My GF is paying 1/2 on the computer, and wouldn't agree even if I wanted to...)

I'm somewhat more inclined towards spending on stuff that can be used on a regular basis (i.e. for system health monitoring) than I am for things that are only for testing.

I don't see absolute numbers as essential, however I do think it is important that they be off in a predictable way, and that they be repeatable. If a temp is off 5* in one test, I would like to see it off the same 5* in the rest. Secondly, If I run a test today, I should be able to run the same test tomorrow and get the same results.

I also have lots of buckets. However I know some folks have problems with that test, and it does seem a bit suspect to me. I'm not sure I get what Phaestus is talking about with is 'manometer test' however - could someone put up a plumbing diagram, or point me towards where the test is described in more detail? (Everyone else acts like they know what he's talking about, but I'm confused I guess that's why they say I'm a newbie...)

Thanks,

Gooserider