View Single Post
Unread 05-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #100
jmcable
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 1000 upgrade to Maxtor 300Gig

I have a Snap 1000 series server with 3.4.805 OS and 3.1.1 hardware and 2.1.364 Bios. The drive came with a 30 Gig Quantum HD. I purchased a 300 Gig Maxtor HD and I had success in installing it as a second drive.

I replaced the IDE cable that was in the unit with a standard 40 pin dual connector ribbon cable. I then got an extra P/S I had around and connected both drives external to the case. I set the 30 Gig to Master and the 300 Gig to Slave. When I turned on the Snap server all the lights flickerd on and off and then I noticed the Disk LED started flickering and did not stop. Druing this time I could not web into the Snap server nor could I use Snap Assist application to see the Snap server. I was hoping during this time the drive was automatically getting formatted. I was correct. After about 10 minutes the Drive LED stopped and I noticed I now could see the Sanp Server from the Assist app and I could also web into it. I went to view Disk Status from the web interface and I noticed that the new Maxtor drive showed up as a 300 Gig drive. I was very surprised. After reading this forum I thought for sure it would not recognize more than 120Gig.

The next step is to copy the contents of the 30Gig to my 300Gig and see if I can boot up with just the 300 Gig.
jmcable is offline   Reply With Quote