View Single Post
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Terry Kennedy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: A post for postings sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaFeHeX View Post
I did read in the original SuperM motherboard manual that some OS's will not see anything above 3Gb and i'm not quite sure exactly why that is in this case when the overland data says the N2000 is expandable to 4Gb.

I do understand that the likes of Windows XP will only see 3Gb in a PC but i am/was surprised that GOS only appears to register 3Gb also.

At the moment i'm running back on the single, original 2Gb stick, just because i got fed up messing about with it and all the combinations i tried, so we're back to original factory spec as a just in case thing, for the time being at least.

It's a little annoying when the Motherboard it's self is capable of supporting 2x Intel quad cores and a total of 12 sticks of RAM (6 per CPU) and something like 192Gb of RAM in total if both CPU's were fitted.
The 3GB issue isn't an operating system problem, it's a design "feature" in the original PC spec. Just like you couldn't have more than 640KB in the original PC, despite it being able to address 1MB, the space above 3GB has a buch of reserved chunks for memory-mapped devices.

In order to use more than 3GB, you need either a 64-bit operating system (and, of course, 64-bit capable CPU(s)) or a 32-bit one with PAE support (which is a bit of a hack, and not all device drivers work properly in a PAE environment). I'd bet that GOS is neither.

Quote:
It's a little annoying when the Motherboard it's self is capable of supporting 2x Intel quad cores and a total of 12 sticks of RAM (6 per CPU) and something like 192Gb of RAM in total if both CPU's were fitted.

The machine seems to be way more than what GOS is designed to handle and in some ways GOS is almost wasted on it. Don't get me wrong i've been a fan of Snaps for a good few years and this thing is a beast. I'm pleased with it, but just a little bit disappointed by what appears to be limitations with GOS. Maybe i could understand it better if i was running an older GOS revision but this is 6.5.023. Ok, so it's not the very latest 7.2.xxx or whatever but 6.5.023 is still only a couple of years old. The N2000 it's self was only manufactured something like 3 years ago.
Well, if the hardware is standard you could always run some other operating system on it. If the GOS is stored on a special flash module, you could just remove that in case you ever wanted to switch back. Personally, I'm using FreeBSD + ZFS on my 32TB RAIDzilla II's.
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote