View Single Post
Unread 02-23-2001, 07:04 PM   #8
wadie
Cooling Neophyte

Really, I dont think you damaged yer chip due to overheating.

But heres a little story .
-- I had been rebuilding my friends Duron 700 setup into a new case for him at his house at a lanparty, and in my wisdom I forgot to plug in the cpu fan into its header, so we essentially had a passive cooler on this heat pissing cpu.

2 Hours of straight Q3 and Counterstrike and he was starting to experience crashes, so he rebooted (blaming it on Win98 .. *spit*) and noticed that his bios was flashing a warning and a current cpu temp box. 92 degrees Celsius. 92 DEGREES!, 8 off reaching boiling point!, I realised that this CPU was gonna die if I didnt do something, so in a hurry we shut it down, grabbed a house fan and blew on it for about a minute.. then i reached into the case and brushed my hand against the heatsink.. OWW!.

Eventually we got it cooled down to a safe temp (40^C or so) and rebooted.

Works fine!, but I can safely say we were verrry close to having a toasted cpu.

Never forget to plug in the fan kids .

------------------
-
Classic Athlon 650@750 w/ Globalwin FKK50, 256mb PC133, 32Mb Geforce 2 GTS, 40.9gb Maxtor DiamondMax 60+, 10gb Fujitsu Picobird, Pioneer DVD103-S, Ricoh RW7120A 12x burner, IBM Etherjet 100mbps NIC, Blueyonder 512kbps cable modem, top 92mm exausting blowhole, front 80mm intake, side 92mm intake blowhole, rear 60mm exaust, rear card exaust, blue orb on video card, heatsinks fitted to 756 chipset and PLL IC. Runs at 35^C full load.
wadie is offline   Reply With Quote