View Single Post
Unread 12-31-2004, 05:11 AM   #16
LopeDogg
Cooling Neophyte

well, the slits could be the whole length down a pipe, or in the center of the pipe, it doesn't matter. the actual slit could be 1mm wide, or 3mm wide, its not critical.

i like the idea of putting the hacksaw blade into the tube *g*
unfortumately there aren't anyhacksaw blades long enough for this... (40cm cut)
its for a radiator i want to build.
i could possibly make two 20cm pipes with slits in them, and join them together, or make the radiator from 2 seperate halves.
im not keen on complicating it though.

the idea of the cutter using a screw is interesting, and it probably wouldnt be too hard to cut through the copper with it, but ive never done anything like that, it might be a total PITA, with the screw getting stuck all the time etc *shrugs*

the idea of the hacksaw blade in the wooden block is also good but the whole jig and slider assembly would have to be pretty damn good.

my jig saw has 1.5cm of travel... i was thinking, i could maybe use 22mm pipe instead of 15mm, and cut my hacksaw blade off at about 17mm from full extension. then simply clamp the copper pipe and cut it with the jig saw, i think that will be simplest and cheapest.

maybe a jig to hold my drill with a rotary blade in place and a slider thing that holds the pipe, then just slide it through and its done?

its times like this we dream of the ultimate workshop *g*
LopeDogg is offline   Reply With Quote