View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #190
IMOG
Cooling Neophyte

I noticed the absence of some of those people also... I had presumed that RL had swalllowed them - Does anyone know if these people are active anywhere in the community?

@LES: I would say your topic was weakly received because few people use peltiers, fewer than that number of people understand peltiers, and fewer than that number of people care to hash out the details you were attempting to discuss.

Personally, I know that is the sort of stuff I have the background/ability to indulge in, however I fail to see the benefit of partaking. If I wanted to apply a peltier, I know I understand their operation (most important core governing elements) well enough that I could do a sufficient job of it without running the calculations. Perhaps others feel this way also (though doubtful in this forum, or they wouldn't be here).

For me, that goes for a lot of the more deeply technical cooling topics. There is enough good established information already that investing the time on understanding the math/science(psuedo) further would yield no benefits in my application (though I'm sure it will contribute very marginally to the cooling arena in the future). I think the advancements of commercial technology would out-do whatever small advances we can conjure up here (stirling engine for example).

This is why I like OCF, my interest is more in the PC/Networking support side of things. I take a lot from there that I then go and apply directly in my job. A lot of what I've seen there, directly prepared me for what I now get paid to do. Though I like to think so, my motives all along probably haven't been completely altruistic. I've taken a lot from the forums. If I was as altruistic as I'd like to think, I would do what you guys are interested in - little tangible benefit, considerable ongoing time commitment.

@BillA: You slight the value of time. Looking back now, what you applied to PC cooling is probably an incalculable investment of time. Like Jag said you did it, not to mention the fact that few people in the community had the resources, physical or mental, to do it.

Last edited by IMOG; 07-20-2004 at 10:00 PM.
IMOG is offline   Reply With Quote