View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2003, 08:04 AM   #17
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

It appears to works fine, (so far), but in using seals that way, they are acting more like a gasket which is not an ideal. However as long as there is plenty of "squash" they will work fine for water cooling pressure levels. I wouldn't want to put 200psi air through that type of sealing and rely on it not leaking. To use an O-ring correctly it would need a very accurate CNC machine to create a circular grove the size of the O-ring with say a 1.5mm ballend mill bit, not something I can do with a hand mill, (an expensive rotary mill table may make it possible, but still far from easy).

This image shows how the entrance chamber connects to the channelling in the front ram block, the two holes shown are drilled down to the channel path and sealed at the top with plugs later on. This is later covered by the name plate shown in previous finished images. I never like to say, it can't be done, but I very much doubt this type of block would be possible without a mill, and I'm constantly learning more and more about how to get the most out of my mill

I should also state for the record I do screw up when making stuff like this. along with basic milling errors going too far or the wrong way, (very easy to do), the bolt holes are M2 and that is quite risky drilling & tapping in copper. I snapped a tap in the finger area so that is why there is a bolt hole on the frontside ram block, (the intention was to have two bolts that hold it together just on the backside block along with the 5 in the chamber area). Once a tap has snapped it's near impossible to get the broken bit out. I then went on to drill the additional hole and unintentionally drilled all the way through..,. arghhhh... this was a case of, I should have put it down and started on it another day My point here is just about every block I make I screw something up but normally with a little redesign I can save the day

Last edited by BladeRunner; 04-18-2004 at 07:47 PM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote