Thread: Temps!!!!
View Single Post
Unread 02-13-2003, 07:44 PM   #1
Chad2
Cooling Neophyte

Temps!!!!

i have a p4 a 1.6ghz with 256mb pc3200 ram on a BD7 ll-raid board. the cooling is a swift tech MCW5000 water block on the cpu, and old BE cooling waer block on the north bridge (where my problem is), all being cooled with my six ft bong cooling tower (this has about 6 layers of gutter cover twisted together, makes it quite and gives the water more time to evaporate). ok so for starters, my water temp stays about 5 C (10-12 F) below ambiet (so about 16 C or 60 F). well, before i put the water block on the northbridge i could never oc more then 2.6ghz (2.4 stable). The temp of it would never go above 50 C. now, as soon as i put the water block on it, i could oc to 2.8ghz (2.6 stable). now the problem is that i put it to 2.4 just to see if the temps are better on it with water cooling, well, it turned out, they are really high. for example, last night i ran 3dmark03 (at 2.4), it got all the way up to 66 C (pretty high, shouldnt it be lower??). then i put it to 2.8, the northbridge got all the way up to 98 C (thats right 98, hey, now i can boil some water :-) ). well, i just want to know, are theses temps right? cause if they are, how come when i have the water block on it i can oc more if it doesnt keep it as cool.

How i mounted it: i used the same mount as the heat sink (the bar that clips on the bottum left and upper right), but what i did is, i made a line about 1-2mm deep across the waterblock where the bar would sit in. and i also put the paid from the heat sink on it. it sits pretty tight and doesnt move around, when i take it off, it looks like there was contact between the core and the water block. so i think it is mount well enough.

any ways, if u have any answers on how to mount it better or if i should even worry about these temps. none of this is making sense to me because the cooling seems to not be as good, but i can oc more, so HELP.

Chad
Chad2 is offline   Reply With Quote