View Single Post
Unread 09-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
joesgarage11
Cooling Neophyte

You've got a tapered pipe fitting. Very common in the plumbing industry. Technically it's a 3/8" NPT (National Pipe Tapered) nipple.

If I understand it right, you want to attach your hose to the fitting directly? It's going to be really hard to seal the tubing that way.

Quote:
they're called 3/8 fittings, but they are 1/2" ID. this is the closest thing to true 1/2" we have in hardware stores in this retarded country
I had trouble finding the fittings I was looking for, too. The big hardware chains all had the same brass fittings in color coded bags as seen in your picture.
Here's a picture of a fitting from one of the big chain store that I had left over from an earlier watercooling project:

This is the style, but smaller ID than I used on my latest project. I ordered the larger ID fittings from McMaster. Here's the Link to the catalog page. I used the 91465K181 1/2"hose ID x 1/4" pipe size brass hose barb.

Quote:
how do y'all tap things that big?
I put a center drill in the chuck of a drill press, clamp the part being tapped to the drill press table centered on the drill's chuck, bring the center drill down to engage the center dimple of the tap, and turn the tap with a wrench.

Quote:
do i have to order a special tap for this?
Probably... You'll need a 3/8" NPT tap and a 37/64" drill.

Last edited by joesgarage11; 09-16-2003 at 06:24 PM.
joesgarage11 is offline   Reply With Quote