View Single Post
Unread 06-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #68
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Well what is the DIY block builder interested in? What are the goals here?

What can I do to improve my waterblock's performance, and how does it compare to a typical commercial block?

Is it agreed that this is the question?

Now what are the limitations?

I don't want to spend any money on testing equipment of any kind. Maybe $10-20, but that's pushing it.

Ok so this means we are pretty limited in terms of test equipment even on ebay. The only real solution is to use thermistors (cheap cheap cheap) and calibrate them versus a more accurate temperature probe. I keep pimping this site, but it is a really elegant idea and solution and it is all open source and free:

http://www.benchtest.com/gp_Temp.html

He uses a sound card's gameport to get 4 thermistor readings pulled right into MBM. He also has all the software needed and an explanation of how to calibrate everything. You should be able to get a waterblock inlet water temperature, a radiator air in temp and a radiator air out temp and a reading for the underside of the CPU from these 4 probes. You will probably have a bit of hassle tracking down the right sized thermistors but otherwise no worries.

Regarding flow rates, I would suggest using the manometer instead of any sort of direct flow rate measurement. Just choose a pump that has a published P-Q curve and take it as truth. If you can measure the P from your manometer which is plumbed on either side of the pump, then you can just read the flow rate off that curve. Put a ball valve in the loop between the outlet of the wb and your res (and connect the pump to res with large ID hose). You should then be able to adjust flow rates 0.5-1.5 or so assuming you are using a 1/2" system and a relatively low resistance radiator. You will probably have to spend a bit of time fussing with the manometer to get the readings reproducibly.

Is this perfect? No. Taking temps at a variety of flow rates as well as wide open should give you a pretty good idea of where the changes in performance are coming from though. I assumed that is the goal here.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote