View Single Post
Unread 11-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #25
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

If Adaptec invents a law suit and invokes the DMCA, ProCooling could be in for rough times. If I were Joe and I was running a site that truly important (like ProCooling is), I would be quick to put the matter to rest before I got caught up in corporate legal crap. Besides all that...

All a Snap server does is serve up drive space, right? If it were me, and Adaptec starting making noises like this, I would do my best to discourage people from buying SNAP servers, and come up with and publicly document a way to build your own Linux-based Snap-alike server without all the arbitrary OS-induced limitations designed to force you to upgrade from Adaptec. On top of that, you'd get RAID support and be able to install as much memory and hard drive space as you could possibly need/want/afford, and for a lot less money than buying a Snap server. And with the case-building talent I've seen here, it's not a big stretch to assume that all this stuff could be placed into a relatively small box (or at least a well-lighted one).

Forest / trees, guys - that's all I'm saying.