View Single Post
Unread 03-15-2004, 09:09 AM   #23
feathers
Cooling Neophyte

PS. We have had a peltier meltdown (when the waterpump was switched-off). This was before we had the pump and peltier under computer control. The peltier got so hot it melted the lucite top of the DD Maze 3-1 waterblock. It took 1.5 cans of C02 to cool the block down enough to remove it from the computer. Even so, it still bubbles and sizzled when it was dropped in a bowl of water!

The P4 2.4ghz HT 800 was undamaged and is still working to this day.

Perhaps someone would also like to remind us of the dangers of static on sensitive electronic components?

The said P4 chip has also be crushed under a swiftech MCX4000 heatsink (had it's pins bent and they had to be bent back with tweezers). The chip has been dropped onto a graphics card (while being removed from it's socket). It landed pin-side down. The chip has been picked-up and handled by a friend (we thought it was dead at the time due to it's failure to start.. We later discovered the problem was caused by a Bios setting).

The P4 chip has gone through hell and yet it still works perfectly and overclocks from 2.4 to 3.4 ghz!

Now I know that Static can kill sensitive components (I have a background in digital electronics) but theory dictates that a P4 chip probably wouln't survive any of these catastrophies.

My point is that until you've actually been there and done it then you can theorise all you like! Doesn't mean that your theory is always right or that the end result is always the same!
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote