View Single Post
Unread 06-01-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

See other thread in this same forum - go searching (coz I am not going to do it for you).

Basically - I think the analagy was a racing car on an oval track, with the water block or radiator being a small section of track.

The faster a racing car goes, the less time it spends in that portion of the track PER LAP. However, over a defined period of time, the number of laps completed increases.

Hence, the total time spent in that section of track is NOT DEPENDENT on the speed of the car.

Take the analagy and apply it to your watercooling loop. The coolant spends some time in the waterblock, and some time in the radiator. Faster water flow is more "laps", each quicker. Same total time.

The impacts of faster pumps are:

1. Better cooling from better impingement and turbulence.

2. Worse cooling due to extra heat from the pump getting into the coolant.

Sorry, I am not conversant enough with ye olde worlde measuring units. I don't know cubits and I don't know feet or gallons. By memory, there are like 15 different definitions of a gallon anyway.

That said, the 1060 is typically "over the top" for even a two-block loop, introducing more heat than the additional flow rate benefits cooling.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote