View Single Post
Unread 12-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #12
DrMemory
Cooling Savant

Modern CPUs hit 100 W or more when they are actually doing something. Modern Graphics card GPUs are close to doing the same. Modern power supplies needed to to allow all these power suckers to work put out 100 W of heat (assuming a 450 W output power supply that is 80% efficent). Several power supplies with over 400 W output have two fans! A single hard disk drive will generate another 25 W. That's 300 W (conservative) of heat generated inside a modern non-overclocked computer. Even previous generation modern computers can have more that 200 W of internally generated heat. A Susy homemaker Oven used a 60 W light bulb to bake cakes! Just try to hold on to a 60 W incandescent light bulb (about 54 W of heat).

I never implied anything. Any assumptions you make about my "implications" are based on your own imagination. I've seen the alternatives. Even though they are much more expensive I'd be surprised if they don't become much more popular. I just mentioned how things are done now in modern computers. Most of which have more than two or three fans (CPU, GPU, chipset, power supply, and "optionally" one more to pull air through the case).
DrMemory is offline   Reply With Quote