View Single Post
Unread 07-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
ljohn787
Cooling Neophyte

I forgot to mention: I have PRO/Engineer Wildfire 1.0 on this machine. I can create the 3D model of my waterblock if I so desired, but I have no idea of how to then create g-code from that. I've been using ACE converter, which is a free tool that I can convert .dxf files into g-code, but it lacks feed rate commands, so I'm stuck making the whole program slow as hell so I don't snap a tool.

Also, the waterblock was a pretty big failure, thanks to me not having a 1/16" tool. Instead, a 3/32 tool was doing the work, but I replaced that with a 1/16" ballmill with 1 degree draft. The tops of the fins in the middle might be a little thin and sharp, but should actually be existent this time around.

In the meantime, I'll be working on a new design that's faster to create (image attached). I am mostly unsure of whether there is enough turbulence in this block. The center is probably where it gets the hottest, so that's where most of the water will be flowing directly. The water will have to flow around the top and bottom sides, and I made some cuts to the center of some of the channel walls.

If you could, please post any feedback on the new design. It should also be a lot faster to make, but that's hardly an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: gif waterblock3.gif (6.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: gif waterblock4.gif (11.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by ljohn787; 07-21-2005 at 02:05 PM.
ljohn787 is offline   Reply With Quote