View Single Post
Unread 12-30-2002, 01:43 PM   #324
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I have a few questions as I have tried to read as much of this thread as I can but I know I missed some stuff.

I looooong time ago myv65 made a statment (I belive it was at amdmb.com)(and this is not at all a quote so correct me if I am off base). You cannot get below ambient temp with strait water cooling and in fact ambient is not possible as any type of flow be it air or water creates it's own heat by friction from the moving matter against the non moving matter. That was not exactly as he said it but that is what I got out of it.

At the time I argued this a little, but come to know it as fact. So is it also true that the faster that flow is going the more heat it will make? So one question is with that massive amount of flow rate, what kind of self generating heat will be made by the water and whats in it? And second, with that massive pump, how much heat will be added to the water from it? That impellor has to be creating some serious friction with the water and I would think it would add some heat, not to mention the elecrtric motor itself adding a lot of heat. And then the air going through whatever radiator you have in mind. (have you calculated the offset of the restrictve radiator in your flow calculations?)

So my main question is will this extra added heat outway the actual performace gain you think you might get from this setup compared to more conventional setups? And being you cannot go below ambient or at ambient how much better do you expect this to be over the best now. I can't see it being much better than what cathar has done as it has to be getting close to the limit. And I mean close being 5-8C of ambient which may not be close for some but it is to me.

Sorry if these are a dumb questions as I honestly have no clue about any of the scientifc data compiled in this project. It is over my head.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote