View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Zavyre
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Introduction & A Few Questions

Yeah I'm still a little leery of the odd (non disclosed) spindle speeds and timing in a raid is kinda important. But the WD Reds have gotten such varying reviews I'm not sure I want to go that route either ... Which leaves the RE4's, Constellation's, & Ultrastar's (Samsung seems to not want to play in this arena any longer). Non of which are cheap, but all are good investments. While I have seen way to many Cuda's fail, anyone know how the Cuda XT's are fairing. (see off semi topic rambling moved to bottom) I know some people are using the WD blacks in raids with good success but for the price diff the RE4's are not that much more.

Quote:
JMO, but in my experience, if you have ANY relocated sectors, the drives life is limited after that.
Overall I agree, but exp has shown it's not a forgone conclusion it will die soon. It should be monitored to see if it's an isolated occurrence or not. Not sure why I'm fighting this point ..... Loss of sectors = Bad. Your basically gambling from that point forward.

It's going to be a bit until I can make an offer, but I am interested.

As for the charging friends & family, I use to not do it, but for a while now it's a pretty low figure but just enough to make it so not everyone is constently bugging me. And I started taping the restore disks (2 to a sleeve) to the inside of the cases. But only for the family and friends. Others get recharged; I love those because I'll still charge you for the full rebuild even if I have the image. Not my fault you lost the media.

(Rambling cont.)
I got a 750 Momentus XT a while back and have tested/used it in many diff scenario's. It's a rather interesting/impressive little drive. Runs very cool even with it's rather large power requirements. It out performed (2) striped seagate 7200.2's in my laptop; and is currently being used in a CFW PS3 with great success. Yes it's very much a waste of a hybrid SATA 3 but the 8 GB SSD does actually make a noticeable difference in load times when put head to head with a another CFW 7200 PS3. Tho the main benefits are it's size & lack of heat in the PS3. Only real issue with the Momentus XT is I have not been able to get an image restored to it that functions. Guessing that hybrid's and imaging software are not going to workout that well.
Zavyre is offline   Reply With Quote