View Single Post
Unread 09-13-2005, 11:40 PM   #141
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Part I: (the Paint Saga) Continued some more...
The top panel is 95% done, I've got to go shoot one or 2 more coats, but it's just to cover some unnoticeable-to-anyone-but-me thin spots. I'll fix it, because I KNOW ITS THERE... /anal-retentive.

Painted top on

Flat, baby. (My finepix 3800 has no aperture setting, hence crappy depth of field...)

Sticky situation: Touch sensor, front panel... front panel, touch sensor.

Time to glue the touch sensors into the front panel... The adhesive you see is plumbers GOOP (yes, I love this stuff and use it for almost everything, it's great versatile stuff!)

A dab of GOOP.

Spread with plastic cutlery until roughly even.

Put into spot on front panel and press like a mo-fugger for a minute or 2 while it starts to set up, then tape it down.

Lather, rinse, repeat until you get this:

What? you wanted to see them all lit up? too bad, so sad, the glue has to cure. I'll probably light everything up tomorrow, but I've tested it this evening and there was a small problem. The GOOP is a solvent glue at heart, and ruined the frosted look of the white ring around the sensors. I've got a trick up my sleeve though *Winks at scopEDog*

VFD Signal Cable: Extreme(ly) Ugly Cable Makeover!

The horror, 2 lengths of gray CAT5! Hacked up ribbon cable! ick!

5/8 sleeving... (Mental note to purchase huge 1" 4:1 shrink heatshrink... )

(Realizes he's out of electrical tape, how embarrassing, runs to wallyworld and buys a firesafe (for 24 LTO-2 tapes) and 2 rolls of electrical tape.)

A little electrical tape never hurt anyone.

A cut-down slot cover + some of mnpctech's now famous u-channel to dress up the cable's entry into the rear of the case. Why not drill a hole in the slot cover and feed it through? Because the cable is too thick for that.

Entry...

The whole shabang from parallel port on down to entry.

Till next time....

PS: Do ya'll like the shorter, more frequent updates? or do you like the less frequent, big juicy ones that seem to flow a bit better?
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote